Wednesday 9 April 2008

Recovery-snakes and ladders:part 2


We last left my story at the point where I'd given up on life. From there I entered a long period of drifting with the flow, with hardly any hope of ever beating my addiction. Living in a hostel I was surrounded by drugs and drug users, I had no friends outside of these circles and only acquaintances within. Through these years many of the people I knew died, mostly overdosing and some through more secondary causes. I wanted the pain I was in, not just physically but mentally as well, to stop for good. I took a huge overdose of 10 bags of heroin, the most I'd ever taken in one go before was 2, and they were very small. This was not a cry for help, I believed this amount was guaranteed to finish me off and stop my pain for good. I cooked up and slammed it in, within ten seconds my hands and feet felt as though red hot needles were being repeatedly stabbed into them. Within another ten seconds my head felt like it was being crushed by huge weights repeatedly crashing into my temples as though in time with my pulse. Then I blacked out into unconsciousness.....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Only you know the extent of your pain Kev, but I'm delighted that you're learning to live with it, I hope that soon, very soon, your suffering will ease and you enjoy the fruits of your recovery.