Wednesday 14 May 2008

The Wired In 'Way Forward'

Wired In's strategy was launched today on Daily Dose and I for one think it's bang on! Drug and alcohol services out there should be offering a service based on 'recovery' not simply treatment for treatment's sake.


In an earlier blog I spoke of my experiences of community based drug services in my local area, and how once I was on Methadone my key worker thought her job was done, she couldn't even remember my name without looking on her folder. For people to succeed in obtaining lasting recovery, they need a strong relationship with their worker/s which is led by the client themselves. Without this it becomes very hard to make any meaningful, lasting changes to their lives. 

I'd like to stress I'm not saying all the doctors, CPN's or key-workers I've ever been with, have been of no help to me, because that simply wouldn't be true, my current GP is excellent and I know there are many other excellent workers out there.But, we need more of them and if your in a 'caring job' and aren't enjoying it or you've lost your enthusiasm, then get out, do something else, something that will fulfill you.

The current 'containment' strategy in operation, at prescribing services up and down the country isn't working. Yes substitute prescribing has it's place, but it's not the magical answer to everything.

No comments: