Monday 19 May 2008

Is there a God??? - Part 2

After that day my life certainly got a lot, lot harder. My addiction to heroin got stronger with every failed attempt to stop using. There came a point where I just through the towel in, I figured that as I couldn't stop using the best thing to do was to use as much as I could, whenever I could, that way it would all be over soon-I hoped.


Even though Wayne had helped me to understand a little about Jesus, before I prayed to him, there was no continuation of this teaching and I knew nothing of what to expect from God or what my part of this bargain was. I didn't know any other Christians at this time, so my Christian life stopped there, before it had even got started!

It was 5 years later when I met a young lady that worked for a drug and alcohol charity, Wired In (formally 'WIRED'). I started to volunteer for this charity, although I didn't actually do anything or attend any planned meetings as my life was so hectic at this time! But then, only 4 months later I ended up in hospital, seriously ill. I didn't know it at the time but I was to spend the next 8 months in hospital, and would eventually need a hip replacement.

As a product of the life I had led, I didn't think much of other people, I felt they were all out for themselves and they would step on anyone to get where they wanted. My friendship with this young lady from Wired In, helped me to realise that not everybody was like this, that there were still kind and considerate people in the world. 

She would visit several times a week and we would spend hours talking about all sorts of things and having a laugh together. Then she started to talk about what being a Christian meant to her and how it had helped her. I was intrigued and so I started to read a Bible again and would have question after question to ask her about what I was reading. There was lots I couldn't grasp and some I thought was just plain wrong!

I had so much time on my hands that I would read almost constantly, as I was bed bound, it was 1 of the only things I could actually do! My mother brought me in a book she had bought from the hospital shop downstairs, 'Taming the tiger' by Tony Antony. It was a biography about a guy who had been world Kung Fu champion 3 years on the trot, until his life took a turn for the worse and he ended up in jail. I've always loved martial arts, from films to books, whatever! Bruce Lee is one of my heroes. So I thought I'd give this book a go.

I couldn't have possibly seen what was coming next! I'll tell you about it in part 3!

No comments: