Tuesday 6 May 2008

Alan Carr's "Easy way to stop smoking"

I started to read this book last night and was absolutely stunned by the claims it made. Apparently 90% of the people who go through Allen Carr's EASYWAY clinics, kick the smoking habit for good. As anybody in the addiction field will know these statistics are the thing of dreams for any of the services offering help with addiction, world wide.

I've only just scratched the surface of this book, but it set my mind thinking, what, fundamentally, is the difference to being addicted to nicotine or any other substance? If these claims are true, they must obviously work on a psychological level, changing the way we think, which then leads on to a change in the physical state, changing the way we feel and act.
I don't know how substantiated these claims are or whether or not the same principles this method uses could be applied to other addictive drugs.
Has anybody else read this book or gone to Allen Carr's clinics? If so, did it work for you?
I'll keep you posted as I go along

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My mum and my husband gave up after reading the book - I went to one of the clinics in Bristol. It's now over 2 years since we all gave up smoking and I can't praise the late Mr Carr highly enough. I can't understand why these books/clinics aren't available on the National Health!

Anonymous said...

This will one month for me .read the alan carr's easy way book and I thought it very good. Thank you so much Alan I am now a non Smoker.