Sunday 22 June 2008

Wired In releases new film on You Tube

I've just been looking through the footage we have for the series "Life as a heroin addict'. It's helped me to realise how important it is to get information about addiction, treatment and recovery, out there in the public domain. It is something that people in the wider community don't know a lot about, apart that is from the exaggerated, sensationalist, usually negative, stories portrayed in the media.


If we are to encourage addicts in recovery to participate in recovery communities, then likewise we need to encourage people in the wider community to except and embrace those in recovery, welcoming them back into the heart of the local community. To do this we first need to break down the view that society has of drug addicts by education and by example. Look at me, I was a heroin/crack addict and now I hold down a respectable job, pay my taxes and live within the law.

By advertising my victory over addiction, I am showing my community that - 1) It is possible to overcome addiction/alcoholism. 2) That not all addicts/alcoholics & those in recovery are a danger to anyone. 3) People can change.

Likewise, I am showing my fellow addicts/alcoholics that - 1) It is possible to recover from addiction/alcoholism. 2) It is possible to live without the cravings to use/drink. 3) It is possible to be a valued member of the community again. 4) The stigma around addiction/alcoholism can be overcome. 5)  The communities opinion of those who have come from an addiction/alcoholic background can be changed for the better with education, time and patience.

I know this kind of dramatic change of opinion in the UK isn't going to happen overnight, but I also know that unless people like you and I, start to speak up for what we believe then It's never going to happen and this situation is going to get a lot worse for everyone. I want my children to grow up in a world where those living with health problems get the help they need promptly, with the support of their local community so that they can heal fully. I don't think that's too much to ask. Do you?

No comments: