Monday 23 June 2008

My Wired In experience


It was early 2005 when I first had any contact with Wired In. At the time I was a chaotic drug addict and no matter what I tried, I couldn’t quit using, in fact I had given up even trying. I just wanted everything to end; I’d simply had enough of life on my knees. Then I met Sarah, who worked for Wired In, we got talking and hit it off. I could see that she genuinely cared and that really surprised me, she was young, pretty and she wanted to spend time talking to me, a no-good drug addict (that was how I felt about myself), very strange!

I then started to volunteer with Wired In but I didn’t really do a lot at first, as my life was so chaotic. Usually I would just meet up with Sarah and have a good chat, I think that was what I really needed at the time. Sarah helped me to realise that there was more to the world than just darkness and pain, she had no ulterior motives for being my friend, it was only because she cared about what I was going through and wanted to support me. It was when I realised this that my outlook on life started to change. For me to accept, and believe I was actually worth that friendship was a huge step for me, in fact, it was the first step on the pathway to my recovery.

Since then I have got involved in lots of different activities with Wired In, and all of them served to increase my self-esteem, confidence, knowledge and skills; in fact I learnt a lot of new skills - public speaking, facilitating group sessions, conducting filmed interviews and about addiction/recovery as a whole, but more important than this I also learnt a lot about myself - my strengths, weaknesses, even who I really was and what I wanted to do with my life. It soon became clear to me that I wanted to work full-time in the substance misuse field and in October 2007, I secured a paid post with The Salvation Army as a Substance Misuse Worker. I’ve recently changed jobs and now work as the Community Development Co-ordinator with Wired In. My job is both challenging and very rewarding; I wouldn’t change it for the world!

Volunteering for Wired In has changed my life in so many, positive ways, I am indebted to all of the team, Sarah especially. I am now living a happy, fulfilled life and volunteering with Wired In was one of the main factors that helped me to turn my life around.

1 comment:

David Clark said...

I am really moved by this Blog, Kevin. It really makes me feel good about what we are trying to do at Wired In. As you know, it is not always easy keeping our agenda on track due to funding difficulties, but my frustrations are reduced - and determination increased - when I see what you and others have to say about our efforts. Thank you.

PS. I cannot wait to have Sarah back working with us after her long illness.