Wednesday 9 July 2008

Celebrity's drug rehabilitation

Earlier tonight on the 'Living' channel, I was watching a program about celebrity's and rehabs, the successes and the failures and all the hype that goes along with it. It pisses me off when I think about celeb's with loads of money, taking shed loads of drugs, because that's what celeb's are supposed to do, aren't they? It feels to me like they're making a shambles and a joke out of real addiction and real people with real problems.


When everything starts to get too much, up comes the manager to pay for a top class, 5 star rehab for them. The cynic in me says more often than not, it's for the publicity, the old adage- any publicity, even bad publicity, is good publicity! We can all think of at least a couple of celeb's that would fit into that bracket. 

The example they're setting to the thousands of youngsters that look up to them is a very dangerous one - 'yes, you can use and abuse drugs and drink and when you've had enough, just go to rehab'. Well I'm afraid it's not like that in the real world. What really pisses me off is that these are the stories of rehab's that make it into the media, and they're the stories that help to lead public opinion on them. In my world, the odds of getting into a rehab at the time that it could actually help, is about the same as having a white Christmas!

Well, I feel a lot better for getting that off my chest!

1 comment:

kayakotto said...

As a Certified Chemical Dependency Counselor I too have concerns over these shows on television. The choice to enter drug rehab and the choice of which rehab is quite often a life and death situation. There are many avenues of help in the drug addiction field, unfortunately the sheer choices can be confusing at best. Informed choice and not a bunch of sound bites or "acting" is what is needed. www.addiction.com offers a free booklet entitled "Guide to Addiction Recovery for a Lifetime" which could act as a more informed introduction to the subject of drug addiction and recovery, for those with real problems looking for real answers. Drug Addiction kills and there is not need to market it as a celebrity event.